Search for content in message boards

Obit. needed for Mary JOSYLN. She died Nov. 1, 1900

Replies: 6

Obit. needed for Mary JOSYLN. She died Nov. 1, 1900

Posted: 1116196076000
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOSLYN, TUCK
Hi,

I'm hoping for help in finding a local obituary for a Mrs. Mary JOSLYN. She died in Colorado Springs on Nov. 1, 1900.

An obit from near her old home at White Salmon, Klickitat Co., Wash., lists a niece Miss Tuck who I would like to find.

-------------------------

The Hood River Glacier, Hood River, OR., November 23, 1900, page 3

DEATH OF MRS. MARY JOSLYN

Mrs. Mary Joslyn, wife of Hon. E.S. Joslyn, died at her home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Nov. 1st, aged about 76 years. Mrs. Joslyn was well known to all old settlers of this section. Mr. and Mrs. Joslyn settled at White Salmon in 1852, where they lived until 1876, when they moved to Colorado. Their home at White Salmon was known to all as being ever open to their friends, and the most hospitable of places. In early days it was a custom for young people to make up parties and visit Mr. and Mrs. Joslyn, who were the most accomplished entertainers, and many of the pleasantest recollections of those who have grown to womanhood and manhood in The Dalles are associated with these visits to the Joslyn homestead. A Colorado paper giving an account of Mrs. Joslyn’s death states that a niece, Miss Tuck, was spending the evening with her while Mr. Joslyn was attending a prayer meeting. Mrs. Joslyn arose from her chair, apparently in good health, but fell to the floor and died instantly. -- Mountaineer.

-------------------------

Her husband later moved to southern Calif. where he died. The Joslyns were early settlers at Bingen/White Salmon. I do research in that area, and the Gorge Heritage Museum in Bingen is also interested in information about this family.

A typed copy is OK. Please include the newspaper's name, the issue date, and section and/or page # of where the article appeared. I will pay a reasonable fee for assistance.

Thanks,
Jeff Elmer
Portland, OR.
host of http://homepages.rootsweb/~westklic/index.html

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jeffrey_Elmer 1116196076000 
Jeffrey_Elmer 1116196809000 
hee9853 1116267605000 
hennye 1116282791000 
hennye 1116285580000 
unknown1sitdf... 1116336606000 
Jeffrey_Elmer 1116425018000