Search for content in message boards

Burkes General Armory Book

Burkes General Armory Book

Posted: 1541655132000
Classification: Query
I recently was given some old books which included "Burkes General Armory".
The book was printed in 1884.
I'm wondering if this is considered a reliable book or just a novelty from that time.
The cover is very fragile so I have been afraid to read it. I'm hoping someone knows whether it would be worth it to have it professionally restored or do I just enjoy it and not worry about any further damage to it .

as a side note: inside is a library plaque (I think that is what it is called) that says "John William Morkill ".

Re: Burkes General Armory Book

Posted: 1541719978000
If it is an original (second) edition it might be worth something to a collector. It is the standard reference book for British armory. It was first published in 1842 and the second edition (1884) contains a supplement . Modern available copies of the 1884 edition are now quite prolific and you can even get it as an e-Book.
Attachments:

Posted: 1541723357000
Thank you for the response.

By all appearances it looks to be the original (second) addition published in 1884 with the supplement. (only date or number on the info./ printers page is 1884) The cover is maroon fabric over board with embossed gilt lettering. Its approximately 3 1/2 inches thick and has advertisements in the back .

Also thanks for letting me know about the online version and that its a good reference book. I'll add it to my library shelf and read it online until I have it restored.

Posted: 1549393116000
Burke's General Armory is a useful tool but its contents should be taken with a pitch of salt. Generally, the more biographical detail there is, the greater the chance that the details are accurate. However, whilst researching a couple of possible family connections I have subsequently found that the details were incorrect.

The "library plaque" is usually called a bookplate. A quick Google search pulls up quite a bit about John William Morkill.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic