Search for content in message boards

Gauntlet and Flaming Sword Crest

Gauntlet and Flaming Sword Crest

Posted: 1550619041000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fleming
There is a family story about a family crest with a gauntlet and a flaming sword on it. The family in the story is FLEMING but the current FLEMING crest does not look like a gauntlet or flaming sword. Is there a reliable resource for searching for old crests? Or can someone tell me about a crest with a gauntlet and flaming sword?

Thanks!

Re: Gauntlet and Flaming Sword Crest

Posted: 1550686277000
Edited: 1550686339000
Surnames: Fleming
First, we need to know exactly what you want us to look for. Are the gauntlet and flaming sword on a shield (in which case, it is a "coat of arms"), or are they placed on a wreath (a "torse") above the shield, perhaps atop a helmet (in which case, it is a "crest")? Which of these it is supposed to be will help determine where are the best places to look.

All that said, a gauntlet holding a sword (flaming or not) sounds more like a crest than it does a coat of arms, in which case the first place to look would be a book called Fairbairn's "Crests".

Looking in Fairbairn, there are number of different crests listed for various Fleming families. Most are goat's heads, but one, "Fleming, Eng. and Wel.," has "A hand gauntleted holding a sword proper." See the attached .jpg ("Proper" means that the gauntlet is colored silver or white, and the sword has a gold hilt and quillons and a silver blade.)

I did not find any crests in Fairbairn where the sword was flaming.

I hope that this information is helpful.

David
Attachments:

Posted: 1550710941000
Thank you for replying.

My notes only say 'family crest being a gauntledted hand and a flaming sword". I will check in Fairbairn's Crests as well.

I believe the Flemings are of English origin but may be of Scottish origin.

Posted: 1550838753000
Edited: 1550839064000
Unfortunately, you have mentioned something that does not exist - <<... story about a family crest with a gauntlet and a flaming sword on it. >>

There isn't such a thing as a 'family crest'. Perhaps the conveyor of the information wasn't aware of this fact.

If the originator of the information really meant to say, "... story about a family shield (or Coat of Arms) with a gauntlet and a flaming sword on it", that's another matter entirely.

To me this is what the person meant to say when they referred to it as being 'on it' - they were describing a shield and not a crest.

Without any tinctures (heraldic colours, metals, furs, stains) mentioned it would be very hard to nail this one down. Do you have any further info that might help us?

To what were you referring when you said, "...but the current FLEMING crest " - what is meant by 'current' and 'Fleming crest'.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic