I've discovered an ancestor of mine died in an asylum from general paraylsis after doing a bit of research i found that this means he had late stage syphillis. I just wondered if anyone could help me understand this illness a bit more during this times. He died in the Hull city asylum in 1911. He had previously stayed in Scalebor Park in west riding which was a private asylum.
So here are my questions....
1. His wife had died in 1907 from Epilepsey, so who would have put him in the asylum, He was from Copenhagan orginally (he had four children ranging from 19 to 8) and had no other family around?
2. When and how might he have contracted syphillis?
3. What kind of treatment might he have undergone?
4. Is it possible that the epilespesy and syphillis are related?
5. any other information regarding Scalebor park or Hull city asylum?