I'm trying to 'fill in the blanks' where I've hit a brick wall in my Family History.
My Gt-gt-grandfather (James Turner Thompson) was born - and baptised - in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India in 1839. I have copies of both of those records. His father (Thomas Thompson) was serving in the 3rd Light Dragoon Guards at the time - and, for whatever reason, his wife (Isabella) was with him when she gave birth.
Thomas Thompson died of Black Fever in 1840 just before he was due to return to England. I have a copy of his death/burial record. His wife (Isabella Thompson) and son (James Turner Thompson boarded the ship (Nevada?) to return to England but Isabella had already been infected with Black Fever and she died (and was buried) whilst at sea - this information comes from James Turner Thompson's daughter, in the form of a letter that she wrote while still alive.
The information that I'm trying to find out is:
- I can't find a marriage record for Thomas Thompson and Isabella, which makes me wonder if they could have met in India. Could Isabella's father also have been serving in the Army?
- I'm stuck with finding Isabella's maiden name
- how unusual was it for a married woman to be with her husband while he was serving in the Army?
- how would 'the troops' have got out to India? What kind of ship would it have been?
- would Isabella and her son have had to return to England at her own expense?
- what kind of ship would this have been?
- the infant James Turner Thompson went to live with his 'paternal grandparents' and his uncle's family in Preston (age approx 3yrs), which makes me think that she may not have had any of her own family to return to.
I'm so sorry for this list of 'I wants' ..................... but this family have been intriguing me for a long time, and it's becoming a bit of an obsession to get past this blockage.
Thank you for reading.