JewishGenJewishGen Hungarian SIG, comp. Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine, Holocaust Memorials from Several Communities, 1941-1945 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.Original data: Data transcribed from various Holocaust Memorials in communities in present-day Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine. Memorial source information is provided with each record. This data is provided in partnership with JewishGen.org.
About Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine, Holocaust Memorials from Several Communities, 1941-1945
Volunteers from the JewishGen Hungarian SIG created this database in loving memory of the Holocaust victims in the areas of pre-Trianon Hungary. The database lists more than 17,500 martyrs whose names are recorded on Holocaust memorials in 28 communities in present-day Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, and Ukraine.
The fields displayed in this database are:
- Town, Megye, Country: The name of the town of residence during World War II; the megye (county), and country containing the town pre-Trianon.
- Name: Surname and Given Name of the individual.
- Memorial: Information about the memorial and its location.
- Image: If available, we have linked an image of the name on the memorial.
- Memorial Town, Megye, Country: The current name of the town where the memorial is located; the current megye (county) of Hungarian towns and the current region of Slovakian towns or their Romanian or Ukrainian equivalent; the current country of the town where the memorial is located.
- Comments: We used this field to list other available information that the transcriber chose to transcribe, for example titles or names before marriage.
Names from the Holocaust memorials were entered exactly as they appeared on the original memorial. If the name was abbreviated, it was transcribed exactly as abbreviated. No changes were made in the spellings of the name, either.
The database currently contains 17,468 records, as follows:
|Town Name Before WWII||Current Town & Country||Number of Names|
|Érmihályfalva||Valea lui Mihai, Romania||36|
|Érsekújvár||Nové Zámky, Slovakia||2,453|
|Nagy-Kapos||Vel'ké Kapusany, Slovakia||87|
|Nagy Károly||Carei, Romania||1,828|