Pennsylvania’s Department of Health began keeping birth and death records on a statewide basis on January 1, 1906. This collection includes death records beginning on that date through 1968.
Death certificates recorded the following details:
- name and residence of the decedent
- city and county of death
- gender and race
- marital status
- age and date of birth
- place of birth
- parents' names and birthplaces
- date of death
- dates attended by physician
- cause of death
- attending physician and address
- length of stay in hospital or institution or length of residency for transients or recent arrivals
- place of burial or removal
- date of burial
- undertaker name and address
- name and address of informant
Records of stillbirths were required to be filed as both a birth and death record, so you may find records of stillborn children in this collection.
17 May 2019: Added 125,887 new records from 1967. 12 Oct 2020: Added 127,287 new records from 1968.